Raising the Bar

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 3 09:34:31 PDT 1998

Brad De Long wrote:

>Malaysia's in great shape right now, isn't it?

Better than Thailand or Indonesia, by any measure. I just taped an interview with Martin Khor of the Third World Network in Penang; he says that they've experience a modest rise in unemployment, compared with the other crisis countries, and a shallower recession too. He also said that the capital controls have been extremely popular, across the political and social spectrum. We'll see how they hold up, but you can bet lots of governments are watching closely.

Doug