A.G.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 3 12:14:56 PDT 1998

C. Petersen wrote:

>I just learned that Alan Greenspan is speaking tomorrow in Berkeley here
>at the business school, but I have to be in a meeting with the Botany
>professor I work for at that time. Are you going, Brad DeLong? I wonder if
>he would take questions. EvA lot of people are looking at hi, particularly
>now. I wonder if a well phrased unusual question could elicit a response
>from him that would cause a secondary response when people read his
>statements in the media.

Greenspan is an adept at incomprehensible syntax when he needs it, but it's clear from his long exchange with Barney Frank over the minimum wage in late July that the guy is not used to a sharp challenge. When Frank reminded him of his testimony two years ago about how a min wage boost would depress employment, and asked him why things didn't turn out that way, AG did a splendid imitation of Butt-head, with a long, stupid-sounding, "Uhhhhhhhhhhh." Like Albright & Co. in Columbus. Bet you couldn't get to ask a question, though.

Doug