Raising the Bar

DICKENS, EDWIN (973)-408-3024 EDICKENS at DREW.EDU
Thu Sep 3 13:29:45 PDT 1998

Max,

Why are you getting on the Bandwagon calling for the Fed to ease?

I get this feeling that we are all monetarists now, in thrall of the Fed's purported ability to prevent depressions. Even an old-fashioned Keynesian would be a voice of reason right now, pointing out that you can't push on a string. Remember the flat LM curve, liquidity traps and all that gibberish? It seems more appropriate to argue that the Fed should accommodate public spending, but only the latter can counteract a general glut of commodities (trying to think like an inside the beltway type of guy).

Edwin Dickens