Kautsky parle

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Fri Sep 4 00:21:19 PDT 1998

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Michael Eisenscher wrote:

> Workers can understand Marxist concepts, but not if they are presented as
> you do here. I have never heard "rentier classes," "bourgeois society,"
> "value theory," "proletariat," "fetishistic expression," "surplus labor
> time," or "necessary labor time" roll off the tongues of workers with whom I
> have dealt over the course of more than 30 years of union work

Well, translated into 1990s terms, you could reel off the afore-mentioned Marxian categories as "Wall Street greedheads", "corporations", "critical thinking", "ordinary working people", "false problems", "Nike's greed" and "whatever your job is, you deserve fair compensation". There remains the small problem of "the revolution". How about "Massive, Sudden Global Grooviness"? To the Linux-barricades, comrades!

-- Dennis