Sending Glenn to the Moon.

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Fri Sep 4 06:53:53 PDT 1998

Dear Josh2,

My hero John Glenn will be blasting off this fall---he probably has to do it to pay off his campaign debts from his ill-fated 1984 presidential expedition.

Speaking of 1984. I was the only steelworker who spoke in favor of endorsing John Glenn for president in the 1984 democratic primary at the old District 15 legislative conference held at the Elks Club in McKeesport, PA. I have no regrets about it.

I have had some real interesting correspondence from Senator Glenn---I doubt if he wrote it himself. For example I suggested to Senator Glenn, rather than spending 40 billion dollars to build new prisons that we should use the money for national health care and build hospitals, train medical doctors and nurses etc. Senator Glenn wrote back that for prisons we only needed quonset huts and barb wire fences, he was sure that would be good enough. My kind of guy.

Sincerely, Tom