Aid to Russia

Mathew Forstater forstate at levy.org
Fri Sep 4 10:25:03 PDT 1998

Economists love to do this kind of thing. This way of formulating the question obfuscates and limits more than informs or demonstrates. History is obliterated, more complex structural relations are denied, qualitative factors are left out, and there is no context. We are left with unexplored and autonomous quantitative relations between countries in a history-less, institution-less, people-less vacuum.

For example, what if the historical and structural relationship between countries such as the US, France, and West Germany and countries such as Nigeria, Pakistan, and Vietnam affect the relationship among the former countries?? With Nigeria are you factoring in the "surplus" resulting from the Enslavement and Colonialism??

By the way, what's the deal with "West Germany"-- is this blocked and pasted from an old multiple choice exam from trade 101? Or do the numbers come out differently after unification?

Mat