Aid to Russia

Fri Sep 4 10:48:32 PDT 1998

>For example, what if the historical and structural relationship between
>countries such as the US, France, and West Germany and countries such as
>Nigeria, Pakistan, and Vietnam affect the relationship among the former
>countries?? With Nigeria are you factoring in the "surplus" resulting
>from the Enslavement and Colonialism??
>
>By the way, what's the deal with "West Germany"-- is this blocked and
>pasted from an old multiple choice exam from trade 101? Or do the numbers
>come out differently after unification?

We don't get much surplus out of trade with the former East Germany (at least not yet). We don't get much surplus out of trade with Nigeria (even with their oil). We don't get much surplus out of trade with Pakistan. We don't get much surplus out of trade with Vietnam.

We get a lot of surplus out of trade with South Korea. We get a lot of surplus out of trade with France. We get a lot of surplus out of trade with West Germany.

It is in the U.S. national interest and economic interest to have rich, industrialized, productive trading partners--not poor, unproductive ones.

Brad DeLong