And now for Gore?

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sat Sep 5 09:17:35 PDT 1998

> *Sigh*
>
> There was a time when opening up the U.S. market to imports from poor
> countries--so that Bengali peasants could move from very, very low-paid
> farmworker jobs to low-paid textile-operative jos--was a left-wing cause
in America.>

When was that, roughly? Are we talking about those left-wingers Cordell Hull and Lane Kirkland?

> That left was a lot more attractive from the standpoint of promoting human
> happiness than this pseudo-Pat-Buchanan left is turning out to be...

It is Democratic indifference to the job fortunes of workers -- the equation of market liberalism with political -- that is propelling the real Buchanan.

Nor is the fate of many of the world's very poor under trade liberalization uniformly appealing.

MBS