And now for Gore?

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Sat Sep 5 18:30:31 PDT 1998

The imperial sigh. So touched that you care, Brad!

Sorry, but looked at from Southern Africa, free trade is a loser. Even the OECD and WB study in '93 announced that our region would lose billions a year thanks to the Uruguay Round. I don't have stats handy but I'm sure it's worse than they thought. Our manufacturing sector in SA alone has been shedding tens of thousands of jobs a year; after trade liberalisation Zimbabwe's manufacturing crashed (from 1991-95) by 40% in volume terms. Even the areas we were meant to have a comparative advantage, including clothing & textiles, are bombing.