Million Youth March

Christopher Niles cniles at ricochet.net
Sat Sep 5 21:58:28 PDT 1998

I briefly visited the Atlanta headquarters for the Million Youth March in mid-July. I came away with the sense that the MYM is a sloppily organized front for the Nation of Islam. I suspect that the key to understanding a lot of the conflicting messages that MYM people are sending is Farrakhan's obvious desire for a broader base of support. The event organizers that I met consisted of NOI members, NOI sympathizers and fuzzy black solidarity types. They seemed to be quite keen to pimp the march as a very diverse one, although most of the organizing is clearly aimed at Black youth. Whatever the matter, the event promises, unfortunately, to be a fairly silly affair.

It might actually be the case that the New York MYM has nothing to do with the Atlanta MYM. Certainly, the group of Black youth who were meeting about the march at the Black Radical Congress in June were cut from a significantly more sophisticated idealogical cloth than their counterparts in Atlanta. Also, several people I know seem to be under the impression that both marches not only have nothing to do with each other but that their respective organizers are hostile to each other...still, nobody seems to really know what's up.

Chris Niles DC New Abolitionists