And now for Gore?

Fellows, Jeffrey jmf9 at cdc.gov
Tue Sep 8 12:00:00 PDT 1998

The growth in east asia, at least in japan and south korea, occurred in large part through the simutaneous use of import substitution policies to protect domestic market producers and export promotion policies to promote the activities of export-oriented producers. All this with the approval of the US government to absorb the excess imports (over exports). Jeff

---------- From: Brad De Long To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: RE: And now for Gore? Date: Tuesday, September 08, 1998 12:32PM

>Brad De Long wrote:
>
>>So now the left tries to keep the developing economies of the world as
poor
>>as possible--lest they pollute?
>
>Speaking for this leftist, I think it'd be far better if the human and
>physical resources of the so-called Third World were devoted first to
>feeding, clothing, housing, and educating Third Worlders, rather than
>competing to serve foreign markets. I'm not arguing for autarky by any
>means, but export orientation is a colonial economic strategy. It turns my
>stomach to read the propaganda from the World Bank saying that comparative
>advantage of the poor is their labor.
>
>Doug

I would agree with you were it not for the fact that in the broad Latin America (and Africa, and India) have done so badly in relative (and, in the case of Africa, absolute) terms since 1960 and East Asia (and southern Europe) have done so well. Import substitutions appears to be death to growth. Or, more accurately, import substitution pursued so far as to make it very difficult to import capital goods appears to be death to growth (East Asians grew very rapidly even with high tariffs on consumer goods--but they let capital goods in on close to free-trade terms)...

Brad DeLong