Hong Kong Soars

Tue Sep 8 12:04:55 PDT 1998

Wasn't there a big shift to monopolization at the end of the 19th Cent and beginning of the 20th Cent. as compared with the classical liberal period ? And an increased role of the governments/states in directly serving monopoly interests and not "leaving them alone to do" (laissez faire) ? The role of the state in the economy reached its peak and reversed its direct service to the bourgeoisie

with Keynesianist reform as a general method to forestall and prevent full working class revolution.

Monopolization is now greater than ever, which is not classical liberalism. So the the current pigs have instituted only returned to classical liberalism partially in the form of raw dog capitalism without Keynesian system preserving refoms.

By the way, there is long term reversal of the meanings of "liberal" and "conservative" with respect to government activism generally, including in economics. Coming out of feudalism, the state still represented the feudal ruling class in the main. So the rising bourgeosie,

the liberals, were therefore anti-government and for "leave us alone" (laissez faire). Today this has reversed and "liberal" has (had ) become synonmous with "big government" in the U.S. with Rooseveltism and all. Conservatives pretend now to be anti-government. For example, Reagan ran "against" big government and liberals.

"Neo-liberalism" is historically reactionary, bring forward only the worst part of classical liberalism for today context. What would be progressive for today, anti-monopoly, is remains "classical" and not "neo". In other words, the IMF "neo-liberalism" is pro-monopoly.

Charles Brown

Detroit

Workers of the West, it's our turn.

The context of this term is political/economic categories outside of the US and UK or in those countries prior to early in this century, in other words to "classical liberalism" of the Adam Smith/laissez-faire variety, as hoov notes (although Adam Smith was not as big of a fan of l-f as he is frequently depicted as having been). The term has a clear and useful meaning and very well describes what has been the dominant ideology of the IMF, etc. Barkley Rosser On Mon, 7 Sep 1998 15:47:08 -0400 (EDT) hoov <hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us> wrote:

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu