34 decades of Rep dominance?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Sep 12 08:29:56 PDT 1998

Max Sawicky wrote:

>It might be simply that Clinton is the last
>obstacle to a complete monopoly of power
>for the Repubs. If we get a 60% R Congress,
>you will see a flat tax, Soc Sec privatization,
>Medicaid turned into a block grant (ending the
>entitlement), abolition of taxes on capital
>gains and estates, and much else that you
>don't see now.

As Michael Barone pointed out after Clinton's re-election, between the 1992 and 1996 elections, the Dems lost 12 Senate seats, 60 House seats, 11 governorships, and 500 state legislative seats. "No Democratic president," Barone said, "has seen such harm come to his party since Grover Cleveland in his second term 100 years ago - and that was followed by 34 years of Republican dominance." And Clinton is often described as the most conservative Democratic president since Cleveland.

Doug