Semen-stained dresses and world revolution

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 15 09:13:17 PDT 1998

Louis Proyect wrote:

>Take Clinton (this should be said in the same tone as Henny Youngman's
>"take my wife"). He represents an absolute paucity of principle. Lincoln
>and FDR put up a stiff resistance to segments of the ruling class in order
>to advance its overall interests. Meanwhile, Clinton, the corporate lawyer,
>takes his instructions from investment banker Robert Rubin, who really
>rules the USA.

Clinton's psychological makeup seems perfect for the USA in the late 1990s - narcissistic, ravenous, and empty. Hypermobile but directionless. Lots of high-flown rhetoric drawing from the days when the bourgeoisie was kind of heroic, but now in the service of Wal-Mart and the bond market. Even his libido isn't very interesting.

Doug