re Kautsky parle, baby steps

John K. Taber jktaber at onramp.net
Thu Sep 17 04:05:15 PDT 1998

Juliana Shearer wrote:

> In my neighborhood, which is predominately Hispanic, the police close
> the streets at night whenever there is a Mexican or Puerto Rican
> holiday. I still haven't been able to find a cop to ask what it is that
> they are trying to avoid by closing the area. When the Bulls were
> playing in the championship, they had police out in full riot gear at
> every corner along Fullerton for more than a mile.

'Sfunny that you mention this. Here in Texas we have the Juneteenth picnic at Lake Mexia, which celebrates when Texas Blacks first heard word of the Emancipation. The picnic has been observed since God knows when.

Mexia is an East Texas town not too far from Corsicana.

When I first got to Dallas, this picnic was heavily policed. The policing was absolutely nasty.

The Juneteenth picnic is no longer mentioned in the local papers, but that doesn't mean the policing is easier, all it means is, I don't know.

I've never met a Black in this area who knows a thing about the Juneteenth picnic at Lake Mexia.