If the shoe fits...)

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Thu Sep 17 09:09:18 PDT 1998

Speaking of the blood ties between the Cockburns and the Waughs what strikes me is how over the past couple centuries so much of Britain's intellectual life has been dominated by people coming from a relatively small number - what Noel Annan calls the "intellectual aristocracy" which consists of such families as the Sturges, the Frys, the Stephens, the Wedgwoods, the Darwins, Trevelyans, Martineaus, Huxleys, Stracheys, Fischers, Keyneses, Penroses and Booths. What is most striking is how these families have managed generation after generation to keep on producing academics, writers, high-level civil servants, scientists, journalists and other intellectuals and professional people.

I wonder if any of the British subscribers to LBO-Talk (i.e. Mark Jones, Chris Burford or Jim Heartfield) have any special insights to share with us concerning Britain's intellectual aristocracy and of the roles they have played in both Establishment and radical politics.

Jim Farmelant

_____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]