The Contradictions of Keynesian Economic Policy

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Fri Sep 18 09:04:10 PDT 1998

I have been emphasizing the idea for a number of years that Keynesian policies [actually Keynes did not advocate many specific policies, but people attribute Keynesian policies to Keynes] have a contradictory effect. They may relieve the pressure that could lead to a crash, but they create further problems that may well lead to even more severe pressures in the end.

I hope explained my position most clearly in

The Pathology of the U.S. Economy: The Costs of a Low Wage System (NY and London: St. Martin's and Macmillan, 1993).

Keynes, Investment Theory and the Economic Slowdown: The Role of Replacemen Investment and q-Ratios (NY and London: St. Martin's and Macmillan, 1989).

Maybe I have not expressed my case very well, but I have not found a single mainstream economist to be receptive to my perspective. Either they insist that Keynesianism is a descructive interference with the supposedly free market or they think that Keynesianism provides the key to running an economy. Both sides are correct in the criticism of the other and each is blind to the defects of his/her own position. -- Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University Chico, CA 95929

Tel. 916-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu