Henwood v Proyect

JayHecht at aol.com JayHecht at aol.com
Sat Sep 19 09:00:29 PDT 1998

Lou,

While I understand your reproach of Jamie G, I don't think Doug is incapable of taking a position - I think he lays at a (modest, maybe too modest) plan at the end of Wall Street.

The problem today is the level of apathy, and actually "no nothingness" on the part of most Americans. I'm teaching a course on money and banking and was going on about stagflation in the 1970s, and asked "who remembers the late-1970s stagflation" - no one! Then I realized that that era is as far away to them as WW II was to me in the mid-1970s. Given the abysmal teaching of history - this shouldn't surprise me.

Students at the small state college that I've started teaching at are singulaly focused on getting a job. Meanwhile, probably over 2/3rds of students work 15 to 30 hours a week, so most are barely keeping up with readings. My job is to first demystify all the nonsense in the fin press, and secondly to get them to think critically about Wall Street, the Fed, the IMF, etc. I give my students a lot of credit for having an intutive sense of the con job that the media give them, and also how risk averse they are about their own future.

Jason