Mandel and Keyens

Jeffrey Levin jlevin at pacbell.net
Sat Sep 19 12:39:37 PDT 1998

Government jobs differ from private sector jobs in ways that go beyond mere wage differences, and people DO take these into account when considering a move from public sector to private sector, or vice versa.

Government jobs are generally FAR more secure, since they usually have civil service protections. Benefit packages are often far better for the average worker, along with relatively good vacation, holiday and sick leave provisions. On the other hand, opportunities for advancement are more restricted.

If the government were to drastically expand programs purely to increase employment (hard to imagine these days), these jobs may or may not fall under the same rules. There is also no reason to believe that an effort to directly increase employment would look the same as the public works programs of the New Deal. Rather than increasing direct employment, we might see programs that provide subsidies to private companies or non-profit agencies to increase hiring there, which might deflect some criticism about government competing with the private sector.

Jeffrey Levin <jlevin at pacbell.net>

-----Original Message----- From: Max Sawicky <sawicky at epinet.org> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Saturday, September 19, 1998 12:10 PM Subject: RE: Mandel and Keyens