kagarlitsky testimony

Sat Sep 19 14:30:47 PDT 1998

>Brad De Long wrote:
>
>>The image held by Krugman, Shleifer, Vishny, Boycko, and a host of others
>>(including me) of a *bourgeoisie*--of what happens when you depoliticize
>>the economy, and create a class of people who profit from market exchange
>>and economic growth--is a very old one.
>
>Brad, do you really think there's nothing political about a bourgeoisie?
>That there's no power relation hidden behind the money form? Do you deny
>that for a bourgeoisie to be a bourgeoisie it has to have effective control
>over the state and the ideological apparatus?
>
>Doug

That as long as the army is not exercising direct control (or even if it is) that whoever is running the government will have to pay a lot of attention to the desires of the property-owning class--yes, I guess I think (or thought) that.

And the problem in Russia--or one of the many big problems--is not that the government doesn't pay enough attention to property-owners, but that it pays them too much attention: the property-owners don't want to pay taxes, and the government listens to them. But no modern state can survive unless it collects enough taxes to pay for its social safety net and to pay its army...

Brad DeLong