Fed Hawks

Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu
Sun Sep 20 10:43:23 PDT 1998

Doyle Saylor wrote:

> Doyle
> It has been said here on LBO that a depression in the U.S. doesn't
> guarantee the rise of a left. Remember that folks. What do you stand
> for? What are your priniciples? If you sit back and don't do anything
> when we have a chance to build a decent mass sized movement, we lose
> what we believe in. ....

Doyle, I couldn't agree more. The only point I would add is that Iam unconvinced that a depression in the US is immenent or the decline of worldwide capitalism is at hand. There could be a change of hegemonic powers in the offing. I am not so stupid as to not see a significantlyly worse crisis than usual , but Capitalism as well as whatever you call the regimes that call themselves Communist have been in crisis since their creation.

I can't remember a time when the left hasn't thought in my lifetime that Capitalism hasn't been in crisis but it seems stronger than ever. Nevertheless, we all know Capitalism especially without strong social democracy is an exploitive, destructive system and working to overthrow // reform it doesn't need an immanent disaster as an excuse.

Other than trying to understand the economy, I would like to help. I would like to volunteer some time and work in local labor organizing if I could be of use. If somebody has some good ideas for this I am all ears.

--mike -- Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu Work: 677 Beacon, Street, Rm313 Boston, Mass 02115 Home: 25 Stearns Rd, #3 Brookline, Mass 02146 Tel-Work: 617-353-9484 Tel-Home:617-734-8828 Tel-FAX:617-353-7755