Promoting mass purchasing power

Mon Sep 21 07:49:58 PDT 1998

Without considering any Keynesians on this list as unreliable or treacherous, our participation in this list is an endorsement of Chris' classic argument below. Whatever practical alliance might come out of dialogues here will be strengthened if we Marxists are honest in our disagreement with Keynesianism and social democracy. Because Left Keynesians are sincerely motivated to drastically ameliorate the problems of capitalism for the great many, if we show them an imaginable revolution, they are openminded, and I think they will bring their expertise about the vast and complex objective aspects of world capitalism to that revolution if they see realism and not just slogans and radical phrases in our discussion and practice.

People on this list are not satisfied with the system, but they don't see ours as a realistic alternative.

Charles Brown

Detroit

At 11:44 AM 9/18/98 -0400, Charles wrote:

>I have to support again my comrade Lou in his continuing
>agitation against the merger of Marxism
>and Keynesianism. The latter makes no
>claim for abolishing the capitalist system. Therefore
>all of its reform proposals are ultimately aimed
>at preserving the capitalist system by
>partially and temporarily ameliorating SOME
> of its horrors. But reforms that are not
>part of a revolutionary program are
>the cruelest , cleverest deceptions of the working
>class.

Apart from the fact that Lou, in his haste, failed to notice that I was gently criticising the idea of large unemployment benefits as idealist, he also failed to notice that I pointed out the even more difficult thing is to destroy a chunk of capital, whereas Keynesians seem to imagine that value is infinitely expandable.

Charles however grasps the nettle and supports Lou against an alliance with muddle headed, or, even worse, treacherous, Keynesians.

But only those who are not sure of themselves can fear to enter into temporary alliances even with unreliable people;

not a single political party could exist without such alliances.

The combination with the 'legal Marxists' was in its way the first really political alliance entered into by Russian Social-Democrats. Thanks to this alliance, an astonishingly rapid victory was obtained over Narodism, and Marxist ideas (even though in a vulgarized form) became very widespread.

After all, Communists do not set up any sectarian principles of their own.

The theoretical conclusions of communists are in no way based on ideas or principles that have been invented, or discovered by this or that would-be universal reformer.

They merely express, in general terms, actual relations springing from an existing class struggle, from a historical movement going on under our very eyes.

Chris Burford

London

PS no names invoked.