Question on Russian economy

Andrew Kliman Andrew_Kliman at email.msn.com
Mon Sep 21 10:11:32 PDT 1998

I'm wondering if anyone can help shed some light on the following.

A large portion of basic manufacturing in Russia is unprofitable, due largely to outmoded and increasingly decrepit plant and equipment. Indeed, much of the sector is value-subtracting rather than value-adding -- the value of output is less than the value of the inputs consumed. In a market economy, this would not persist for long; such operations would be quickly closed down. So my question is, what is it that makes it in the individual interests of the owners ("oligarchs") to keep these enterprises in operation?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew ("Drewk") Kliman Home: Dept. of Social Sciences 60 W. 76th St., #4E Pace University New York, NY 10023 Pleasantville, NY 10570 (914) 773-3951 Andrew_Kliman at msn.com

"... the *practice* of philosophy is itself *theoretical.* It is the *critique* that measures the individual existence by the essence, the particular reality by the Idea." -- K.M.