CPI Shaving?

Mon Sep 21 10:53:28 PDT 1998

>>Brad mentioned that the CPI would be the same
>>for Soc Sec and bondholders. I had heard the
>>contrary, but I don't want to challenge him
>>on it until I am certain. As you indicate,
>>this would make for an interesting scandal.

All the proposals (all the proposals I heard, at least), are that *indexation* would be different for Soc Sec and for bondholders--Soc Sec recipients would get CPI - 1%, bondholders would get CPI--but that the CPI would be the same...

A scholastic difference, I admit: same "CPI", but different "indexation"...

Brad DeLong