Allende's Second Way

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Tue Sep 22 20:10:44 PDT 1998

I wonder what people here think of the Allende government's attempts, economic or otherwise, 25 years ago in Chile, before it was murdered. (As far as I know, the only Marxist government that was elected into power. Arguably a casualty of the cold war?) I saw the two powerful films on the coup and the following struck me in Stuart Klawans's review: "We hear that music again and again, as Guzman brings in more stories of the disappeared. One of them was Jorge Muller Silva, the young cinematographer for 'The Battle of Chile.' Several people, including Muller Silva's father, help Guzman piece together the story of his death, which was useful to the new Pinochet regime simply because it was so unnecessary. His old friends recall that Muller Silva liked fine clothes and skirt-chasing, traits that marked him in leftist circles as less than serious: a dandy among revolutionaries. But everybody like him, and he knew everybody. Who better to mark for a disapearance, if you wanted to spread terror as widely as possible?"

The only book I've seen on the coup is "Allende's Chile" by Richard Boorstein. What do people think of it? Any other books you can recommend? -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/19980922/64d47c19/attachment.htm>