urgent appeal for monthly review press

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Sep 23 06:42:41 PDT 1998

I plan to send in $100 myself. Mike Yates, Doug Henwood and Gary MacLennan--all stalwarts of this mailing-list--have all published in MR. It is no secret that I am very close to MR politically and hope to have something published in there one of these days myself.

The importance of MR is not that it is some kind of purveyor of "vanguard" thought, but that it allows Marxists to have the sort of debate that takes place on this list. For example, John Bellamy Foster and David Harvey debated the red-green dialectic a couple of months ago and it was tremendously valuable. Foster also wrote a penetrating critique of an MR book that was authored by LM supporters. A little birdie from LM has told me that the critique was quite fair.

I have hopes that the charter for MR publishing and the journal can be expanded in years to come. I'd like to see conferences organized on behalf of MR that would bring together Marxist scholars and activists around the world. As the economic crisis deepens, the MR connections will prove important. As somebody who attends MR luncheons from time to time, I can assure you that there are frequent visits there from activists from South Korea, Indonesia, China, South Africa and elsewhere.

Please be generous.

Louis Proyect