Krugman in New Republic

Thu Sep 24 12:35:05 PDT 1998

In a recent New Republic Krugman blames the failure to implement Keynesian policies of low interest rates/fiscal stimulus in the recession mired third world on international speculators. I was wondering if one replaced that scapegoat with international jewry, as Mahatir already has, whether this analysis is any different than traditional fascism. I see in The Nation Michael Lind has turned to the progenitor of fascism Freddy List (I cannot believe editors published this; who will edit the editors?) while the star neoclassical economist Krugman has found a soul mate in a third world proto fascist. Couple this with Katha Pollitt's insight that two symbols of medievalism captured the hearts and minds of people last year--Princess Di and Mother Theresa.

best, rakesh