Krugman in New Republic

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 24 16:06:59 PDT 1998

Rakesh Bhandari wrote:

>In a recent New Republic Krugman blames the failure to implement Keynesian
>policies of low interest rates/fiscal stimulus in the recession mired
>third world on international speculators. I was wondering if one replaced
>that scapegoat with international jewry, as Mahatir already has, whether
>this analysis is any different than traditional fascism.

Rakesh, just because List was a nationalist doesn't make him a Nazi; you could argue continuum, slippery slope, etc., but there's still a difference. There's a difference between "speculators" and "Jews," since someone like Krugman could define fairly precisely what social actors and functions he means, while blaming Jews is just racist crap. Why the urge to make these leaps?

Doug