Clinton adulterer

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Sun Sep 27 18:29:08 PDT 1998

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I read in today's NY Times that the original Old Testament prohibition
> against adultery applied to married women, as part of the effort of keeping
> the lineage clear. So it was more a matter of property than propriety. But
> by the original definition, Clinton wasn't an adulterer! Is this really the
> case?

I got so carried away with my bible quoting that I neglected to answer the question. The question is the wrong one to ask. She's jewish, he's not. Taking the hegrew bible literally, my suspicion is that she, as an *israelite* would be killed for sleeping with a foreigner. Not sure what would happen to him--probably nothing--the expectation seemed to be that non-israelites would behave badly. But, he's a southern baptist. And the apostle Paul clearly states that the laws do not hold for christians, what matters is faith. So Hebrew bible laws are, for him, competely irrelevant. In Matthew we read that anyone who lusts in his heart is an adulterer. Presumably that remains true for those whose heartfelt lust manifests itself physically. So, yes, he's an adulterer.

Frances