Deutschland

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Sun Sep 27 21:56:17 PDT 1998

As Doug pointed out, Clinton went out of his way to help Kohl. I don't know if this was before the polls showed Shroeder with a commanding lead - you know how Clinton loves those polls - but if forced to guess I would say that Clinton heeded the advice of Rubin and Greenspan that the markets would react better to a Kohl victory. It would signal stability, important at the moment considering the state of Russia and the impending monetary union, which will be good for U.S. trade, and despite the fact that the markets have nothing to fear from Shroeder.

Pace John, I think Germany is becoming more independent. Witness Clinton's talk of a coordinated G-3 or 4 interest rate lowering followed by Buba's no way, Jose. When's the last time Buba lowered rates? I bet the NYTimes and WSJ will write that it doesn't really matter what Shroeder does, Buba's in charge. The little devil conspiracy theorist on my shoulder whispers that at the time of Clinton's visit with Kohl, he had believed he was Typhoid Mary and had hoped to contaminate Kohl. Sorta like how he brought destruction down on the Democrats. Clinton's motivation for this would have been that a successful European monetary union -perhaps less likely under Shroeder? - would eventually be bad for the U.S. geopolitically and that the history books will say he led the Third Way Wave, after the bit about how he jizzed on an intern's shoulder in the White House. I've learned to ignore mini-Satan. Isn't there supposed to be an angel on the other shoulder?

- Peter, too phat to phail, word to your moms