It Ain't Easy Bein Green

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Sep 29 07:27:39 PDT 1998

To bautiste at uswest.net:

I wish nothing but good for the greens of NM, since I don't know enough about them to have any criticism. Though the workerist elements of your defense are not compelling, except to those who are insecure about their bourgie status.

To DR, who said: <I just like to tweak Brad and Max now and then -- they have this idea that us Greens are, like, Marxoid Commie pinko vegetarian mutant ninja squirrels or something (*ferrets*, I keep reminding them, not squirrels, but you know how all us radical mammals look alike). The Revolution will have a sense of humor, comrades!>

I don't recall Brad castigating greens, only noting their proliferation along the Left Coast (and these not the red- green type, actually).

I am happy to own up to it. I actually know a few, including the rare 'red-green' variety, so it's not as if I'm speculating about the life-style of Martians.

If anything, a little more of the "marxoid commie pinko" stuff would be an improvement. I don't care about vegetarianism as a life style, only as public policy laid down by the bourgeois (including the low-income declasse types) as prescription for the poor. You might as well just lay a 20 percent tax on food.

My basic criticism is the tendency within green-ism towards straightfoward, reactionary economics, reflected in the notion that U.S. workers' incomes are too high. This comes from all types of greens, including some of the purportedly 'red-green' variety.

In Maryland the greens are nearly invisible. Their big issue is opposition to a useful road that the county needs. One trembles to suspect that this opposition is rooted in homeowners' interest in their property values.

I look forward to more green insurgency a la New Mexico, and to the point where the movement sorts itself out into pro- and anti-working class components. I'll try to be as helpful as I can.

[ribbet]

MBS