It Ain't Easy Bein Green

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Sep 29 07:44:54 PDT 1998

Max Sawicky:
>My basic criticism is the tendency within
>green-ism towards straightfoward, reactionary
>economics, reflected in the notion that U.S.
>workers' incomes are too high. This comes
>from all types of greens, including some of
>the purportedly 'red-green' variety.

Poor Max has no other recourse but to distort his opponent's positions when he is bent on defending the existing power relations. Greens never say anything about workers income. This is just a figment of Max's imagination. What Greens say is that there should be limits on consumption that are socially destructive. For example, SUV's are ravaging the environment. One of the reasons that so many people are tempted to buy them is that the price of gasoline is affordable. However, this affordability is a function of power relations. Cheap gasoline comes from Nigeria because they murder opponents of Shell Oil.

That's just speaking for Greens. As far as Red-Greens are concerned, the issue of workers income has to be placed in the context of the needs of the entire planet's population. It is entirely possible that the income of workers in the industrialized west are artificially high. When a multinational corporation pays Nike workers in Portland fabulous salaries because they are ripping off Indonesian workers, then justice demands that Indonesian workers have a decent life and the Portland workers live slightly more modest lives. Of course, this is all moot because the capitalist system is based on exploitation...

Louis Proyect