the downside of the Greens

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Tue Sep 29 07:40:18 PDT 1998

Doug wrote:
>Johannes Schneider wrote:
>
>> I wouldnt trust the Greens at all. On social issues (taxes, pensions,
social
>> insurance) they are to the right of the SPD, because union influence is
much
>> stronger on the SPD. The electorate of the Greens is the well-to-do
liberal
>> middle class, even the 'lefts' within the Greens like Trittin have to
take
>> this into account.
>
>Could you, or anyone else, say more on this? Some details on policy
>positions and the demographics of the Green support?

OK, up to know there is very little information avilable: Among the following groups the Greens are overrepresentated: White collar (Angestellte) and state officials (Beamte): 10% Age group 18-24: 10% Age group 25-44: 10% Big cities (more than 100.000) inhabitants: 9% Underrepresentated: East Germany: just above 5% Source taz Sept. 29 http://www.taz.de/~taz/980929.taz/ta_T980929.100.html For the programmatic points I have to dig through my archive. Johannes