Le Monde Diplomatique in ENGLISH

R.Magellan magellan at netrio.com.br
Tue Sep 29 10:40:39 PDT 1998

THE TEXT IN ENGLISH MAY BE FOUND BELOW. ************************************************************** Le Monde Diplomatique é um dos principais jornais contemporâneos e de tendências progressistas, leitura obrigatória para quem quer conhecer o mundo de hoje. Enquanto não sai a edição em português, os que entendem inglês mas não lêem francês podem agora tê-lo naquela língua (ver anúncio abaixo).

Por falar em francês: vocês sabem que um certo presidente da remota e exótica América do Sul decretou o fim do reconhecimento de currículos obtidos em cursos universitários da França e eliminou o francês do curso de formação de diplomatas de seu País. que também atende aos de vários outros países? O ato é tipicamente neoliberal e mesmo colonial, ao tentar uniformizar o pensamento em torno ao mundo de língua inglesa.

Ah, esse presidente tem forte influência da cultura francesa em sua formação e é amigo de intelectuais da social-democracia francesa como Alain Tourraine. E daí? Ele não mandou que esquecessem tudo que já escreveu, inclusive a teoria da dependência, de que foi um dos formuladores?

Saudações de Roberto

1848 / 1998: Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch !

Paix entre nous, guerre aux tyrans (....) Ouvriers, paysans, nous sommes Le grand Parti des Travailleurs. (L' Internationale)

Le Monde diplomatique

et The Guardian Weekly

Le Monde diplomatique

en anglais

Le 20 septembre, The Guardian Weekly a publié

le premier numéro du Monde diplomatique en anglais,

dans un supplément de seize pages.

*

* *

PROCHAINES PARUTIONS

25 OCTOBRE ET 22 NOVEMBRE

Pour toute demande d'information, écrire à Patrick Ensor,

The Guardian Weekly, 75, Farrington road, London EC1M 3HQ

<mailto: patrick.ensor at guardian.co.uk>

Le Monde diplomatique en anglais est également disponible

sur Internet : http://www.monde-diplomatique.fr/en/

Comme celles de nos éditions en allemand (Berlin et Zürich),

italien (Rome), espagnol (Madrid et Mexico), grec (Athènes)

et arabe (Beyrouth), la réussite de cette édition en langue

anglaise est d'une première importance à nos yeux et pour la

diffusion de nos idées.

Merci de bien vouloir nous aider à la

faire connaître, par exemple en adressant

à vos correspondants anglophones le texte

ci-dessous.

This week (20 September) will see the first of three

supplements of Le Monde diplomatique which are being printed

and distributed by The Guardian Weekly (GW) on a free trial

basis (September, October, November).

The GW is part of Guardian Publications Ltd., UK, and it is

distributed worldwide, sold mainly by subscription.

We hope this will be the start of a regular printed edition

of Le Monde diplomatique to which you or your friends may

wish to subscribe, jointly with The Guardian Weekly.

For more information please contact Patrick Ensor,

The Guardian Weekly, 75, Farrington road, London EC1M 3HQ

<mailto: patrick.ensor at guardian.co.uk>

To secure a copy of this first edition, contact your local

newsagent or the Guardian Weekly to place an order. The GW

can be contacted for regular subscriptions at

<mailto: gwsubs at guardian.co.uk>.

In this first issue, Ignacio Ramonet writes:

Le Monde diplomatique

Taking a stand

We are delighted to welcome readers of The Guardian Weekly

into the family of people who are regular readers of Le

Monde diplomatique...

Our desire to broaden the readership of Le Monde

diplomatique beyond the confines of France is not a recent

thing. Already one third of total sales of our

French-language edition are to readers overseas. From the

start, we have been not a French newspaper that happens to

sell abroad, but an international paper that happens to be

based in France. Not only does our newspaper offer broad

coverage of major world developments, but we also open our

pages to intellectuals, experts, journalists, writers and

public figures from all around the world. This has been a

major contributing factor in our success.

Le Monde diplomatique is in excellent health. Over the past

ten years our circulation has doubled - rising from 135,000

copies at the end of 1987 to 270,000 by late 1997. Our

readers tend to be young - 81% of them are under 49 and 41%

under 34. We were the first paper in France to have its own

site on the Internet, and visits to our French-language site

are now approaching 200,000 per week...

Newspapers today are going through a bad patch. So what we

have achieved is good news for all who care about freedom of

expression, and who want to see that freedom operating in

the interests of reliable reporting, a concern for justice

and an ethic of solidarity...

Our readers appreciate us because we are serious about our

journalism. They like the fact that, in dealing with the

news, we dig deeply into issues of economics, sociology,

politics, science, technology, ecology, culture and

ideology. They want to understand the complexities of the

global economy, and what it means for the world in which we

live. They want to know about new problems emerging in our

societies, about the strategies of the world’s major powers,

and about the new kinds of conflicts that are shaking the

world’s major regions.

This is the logic underlying our efforts in the past few

years to build foreign-language editions and partnerships

with newspapers outside France. Le Monde diplomatique is now

published on a monthly basis in seven different national

editions: in Italy with Il Manifesto; in Germany with

Tageszeitung; in Switzerland with WochenZeitung; in Spain

with the publisher L-Press; in Mexico with Editorial Sans

Frontières; in Greece with the daily Eleftherotypia; and in

the Arab world with the Beirut daily An-Nahar. The newspaper

is also available on the Internet in a Japanese version

published out of Tokyo. In addition, our bimonthly magazine

Manière de Voir is published in both Greek and Portuguese. A

printed English edition is long overdue to complement the

existing Internet and email editions.

This is a major project. We believe it promises well for the

future. And within this continuing activity we attach the

greatest importance to the success of our collaboration with

The Guardian.

IGNACIO RAMONET

Director of Le Monde diplomatique