Genocide in Kosovo

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Apr 3 15:21:31 PST 1999

Chris Burford wrote:

>Clearly this is a war by Serbian nationalists to annexe the province
>of Kosovo by means of genocide.

Minor point of law - Kosovo is a province of Yugoslavia, isn't it? So how precisely is it being annexed? And, while we're defining things, "ethnic cleansing" is a monstrous crime, but is it genocide actually? By any definition of genocide, the U.S. and Canada have committed it against their native populations - and still commit it; should we send a cruise into the Bureau of Indian Affairs, if they've got any left over?

Doug