Violation of Vienna Convention

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Apr 4 20:58:40 PDT 1999

Of all the violations of international law, the one I find the most striking, and the least discussed, is the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties that _The Nation_ mentioned in its editorial: "It is illegal under international law to use force to compel any state to sign an international agreement." Which means NATO was violating international law even before we dropped the bombs by threatening to if Milo didn't sign. The whole Rambouillet process was a violation of international law, as is everything we've ever done in Iraq. It makes sense when you think about it -- valid treaties are consented to, and there is no consent under duress. But this sort of threat seems to be regarded these days as the soul of international uprightness. Does anyone know if there wiggle room in this convention the Nation didn't mention?

Michael