Burford's post re Yoshie

digloria at mindspring.com digloria at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 5 16:23:47 PDT 1999

>Really now, guys, that's ridiculous and offensive. It doesn't surprise me
>coming from Chris Burford - he's made himself tediously clear - but it does
>from you, Greg. There's nothing fascist about Yoshie, and it's a smear to
>say so.

how about: totalitarian and thoroughly intolerant of the possibility that there isn't one *right* way? what's interesting of course is that defenses of yoshie and pleas for her return (or at minimum, a wee bit of regret that she left) have been based on precisely that which yoshie seems to reject: the possibility that it might be important to actually have a conversation, that this conversation might actually be one in which people had different positions, positions that were defensible, and that it might be a good idea to do so without relegating everyone who disagrees with you as somehow NOT a leftist and definitely not a good enough marxist. the folks who've piped up generally seem to advocate this stance, but yoshie sure as heck didn't. so i find it amusing to observe and i hope she's lurking. look i admired yoshie's smarts, her tenancity and her toughness, but i didn't appreciate having to constantly whip out my marxist street cred in order to be allowed into the conversation. that certainly does little to make for civil discourse.

kelley