Zhu Rongji warns of World War (and a breaking story)

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Tue Apr 6 00:33:03 PDT 1999

G'day all,

Rakesh asked for this worrying piece from today's Sydney Morning Herald:

By DAVID LAGUE, Herald Correspondent in Hong Kong

The Chinese Premier, Mr Zhu Rongji, has warned that NATO's attack on Yugoslavia could spark a global war.

China, fearful that the NATO military strikes could set a precedent in any conflict with Taiwan, has intensified its protests, with the state media condemning alliance leaders while praising the Yugoslav President, Mr Slobodan Milosevic, as a freedom fighter.

The Chinese media has also played down the plight of ethnic Albanians fleeing from Kosovo, as well as reports of Serb atrocities and the international relief effort to help the refugees.

In calling for an immediate halt to the bombing, Mr Zhu told the Toronto Globe and Mail before his two-week visit to the United States, beginning today, that China opposed intervention in the internal affairs of other nations. This included Beijing's sovereignty over Taiwan and Tibet, Britain's role in Northern Ireland, and Canada's secessionist movement in Quebec.

"If we should refuse to recognise a country's sovereignty, I'm afraid that would lead to a world war," he said.

"If military interventionism is to be allowed in all internal matters like a question of human rights of any country, that will open a very bad precedent in the world.

"We do not have a tribunal or world police. So, who should be the person to make the decision to use all this military force?"

And this, just in on their breaking stories site!

NATO denies planes shot down over Serbia Source: AAP | Published: Tuesday April 6 2:37:22 PM

NATO denied a Serb television report that two of its aircraft were shot down late yesterday in a raid on Novi Sad, 70 kilometres north of Belgrade.

'This report is fabricated and all our aircraft returned undamaged to their bases,' the official said, requesting anonymity.

RTS television said the first plane was downed as it tried to destroy the last remaining bridge over the Danube at Novi Sad, and the pilot ejected over Petrovaradin, a suburb on the right bank of the river, RTS said.

The second plane was hit after an attack on an RTS transmitter on Mount Fruska Gora, some ten kilometres south of Novi Sad, depriving Serbia's northern province of Voivodina of programs, RTS said.

Both pilots ejected and search operations had been launched for them, RTS said.