2 U.S. groups flout U.N. sanctions, take medicine to Iraq

Maureen Therese Anderson manders at midway.uchicago.edu
Tue Apr 6 11:22:53 PDT 1999

Michael asked:

>[Does anyone know anything about either of these groups? I'm thinking of
>sending them some money.]

Voices in the Wilderness has been doing really great things, both publicity and policy pressure-wise. I know the organization was hit in December with a $120,000 fine for travelling to Iraq with medicines and toys for dying kids. (This in addition to individual delegates being charged with $10,000 penalties.) As your article attests, they're still carrying on and need all the help they can get. I'll send more info on them when I have a moment, but in general, yes, do send them money if you can:

Voices in the Wilderness A Campaign to End the US/UN Economic Sanctions Against the People of Iraq 1460 West Carmen Ave. Chicago, IL 60640 ph:773-784-8065; fax: 773-784-8837 email: kkelly at igc.apc.org website: http://www.nonviolence.org/vitw *** ...And if your donating spirit also has a theatrical bent, consider the following (which was forwarded on to me; I don't know anything about the organizing group):

Subject: 5,000 dolls & other actions against sanctions

We need your help! We are collecting 5,000 babydolls for an upcoming action in Washington, D.C. Activists in Pittsburgh are coordinating the action, but we would love your participation! We are collecting 5,000 babydolls as a symbol of the 5,000 Iraqi children who die each month due to imperialist U.S. sanctions against the people of Iraq. According to Madeline Albright the suffering of Iraqi people is well worth the cost of displacing Saddam Hussein.

We are planning this action to show Madeline, and rest of the U.S. government that we will not stand passively by while thousands of people are unnecessarily murdered. Street theatre, a banner drop and a pile of babydolls will help us spread our message: No Murder In Our Names!

This is where you come in, we need baby dolls! We have exhausted our local thrift-stores to the tune of 1,100 baby dolls. We need more, 3,900 to be exact. Please visit your local thirft stores, hawk up the neighbors, and issue a call at all of your various activist meetings. We need babydolls soon. We are looking at an April 20, 1999 deadline so we can time this action with The National Week of Action Against the U.S. Sanctions and Bombing War on Iraq. Send all baby dolls to:

VFP-PGH c/o Sandy Kelson 300 Bevington Road Pittsburgh, PA 15221

We also need your creative energy. We want to construct a 20 foot babydoll with a missile going through it and possibly a large Madeline Albright. We also need drummers who are willing to join us in a ceremonial drum circle to call attention to the spectacle. Email or call us to get in on this action.

Tim (412) 242-2672 timdog18 at hotmail.com Ailecia (412) 363-0879 ailecia at hotmail.com