Bad medicine analogy. (Heart attack and aspirin.).

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Tue Apr 6 11:57:29 PDT 1999

Without getting into the economics specifics, let me discourage all of you from thinking that aspirin is a trivial heart attack palliative. If you or someone you know should have a heart attack, the first thing you should do is administer some aspirin. It might be the single best thing that you can do. Then get to the damn hospital. The anti-clotting properties of aspirin are not only a good prophylactic against heart attacks, they are good near-term treatment. "Take two aspirin and call me in thhe morning" with regard to a heart attack would be excellent heart attack advice if, for example, you were stuck up on a mountain and couldn't get to help sooner. -gn.

You got it Bill!!. When a patient is having a heart attack and calls a doctor, the reponse of "take two aspirins and see me in the morning" is not practicing good medicine.

If the problem is not serious-- then aspirin might help -- but people including Eichengreen , Tobin and Wyplos (see EJ 1995) -- are stating that their brand of aspirin will prevent heart attacks -- and therefore no cardiac intensive care unit is needed. -- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298