Bad medicine analogy. (Heart attack and aspirin.).

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 6 21:22:58 PDT 1999

For the record, my orignmial statement on another list was:

A simple Tobin tax is like trying to fight a raging forest fire with a bottle of Pellegrino, or giving a terminal patient aspirin.

Heart attack was not mentioned.

This discussion is getting as unreal as a G7 finance ministers meeting.

Paul Davidson's point that the Tobin tax is not the proper response for the destructive run-away global foreign exchange markets is on very solid grounds. The real damage of the Tobin tax, aside from the obvious increase of transaction cost without any compensating benefits, is the false hope it holds out that may distract from the urgent need to seek real effective solutions to a very pressing and serious problem.

Henry