Time-out on the Chetniks

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Tue Apr 6 14:04:12 PDT 1999

Dear Doug and the LBOers,

>From what I've read and the little I understand the term "chetniks"
could be roughly translated into American as the "hillbillies". The "chetniks" were composed of Yugoslavian army units and patriotic Yugos that refused to surrender to the Axis Forces. The "chetniks" started their resistance to the Axis powers in 1941; before Tito had organized his resistance. There was a monarchist element among the "chetniks", but, Yugoslavia was also some kind of a constitutional monarchy at the time and the monarchists themselves were split on resisting or joining the Axis. The "chetniks" chose to resist.

There is a great old book by an American woman who was stranded in Yugoslavia at the outbreak of WWII. This lady spent a couple of three years with the "chetniks" and her story is an interesting read, sort of like Edgar Snow's stuff.

Don't forget Tito was a Croatian!

Your email pal,

Tom L.