cruise envy

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Apr 7 07:24:42 PDT 1999

At 04:07 PM 4/6/99 -0400, Doug wrote:

>Loyal White House leak recipient Joe Conason has a column in the New York
>Observer beating the war drums too. What is it? After all these years of
>watching right-wingers wage war, and half-heartedly criticizing them, now
>they're all suffering cruise missile envy? Clinton's used more cruises so
>far than they did in the Gulf War.
>
>I bet if it were Dole, Kohl, and Major giving the orders there'd be a lot
>more people in the streets.

Precisely. Now that assorted social democrats proved their usefulness to the imperialist project by effectively pacifying liberal sensibilities - we can expect them to become a more permanent fixture in the halls of power throughout Europe.

As I always suspected, scratch a social democrat and find a nazi underneath.

As to the cruise envy theory, though, I think it is more like the old "good cop, bad cop" ploy. Sometimes the usual warmongering (national security, etc.) becomes ineffective - e.g. when white people are being slaugh... err become 'collateral damage' which is much more offensive to liberal sensibilities than, paraphrasing Madaline Albright, paying for the Pax Americana with the lives of dark people. In such situations, the good cop (the cruise missile liberals) is called in to make the bleeding hearts feel good about themselves, thinking that it is all about human rights, stopping genocide etc. Suckers!

Wojtek