Opening Borders

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Apr 7 14:54:44 PDT 1999

Margaret writes: "As to US domination being generally benign: 'benign' is probably the wrong term. I would probably say 'generally less directly murderous'."

This is sheer grade-school pap.

I have one or two specific suggestions (in the way of reading). First William Blum, *Killing Hope: U.S. Military and CIA Interventions Since World War II (Common Courage Press, 1995). Secondly, read some material dealing with two aspects of Carter's administration: Bishop Romero's murder and the events that led up to it; U.S. support of Indonesian policy in East Timor. A good place to begin with East Timor (which presents an *exact* parallel to the claimed situation in Yugoslavia, except that Carter supported the Indonesian state rather than bombed it) is Noam Chomsky and Edw. Herman, *The Washington Connection and Third World Fascism* (South End Press, 1979), pp. 129-204. A good place to start on Central America Placido Erdozain, *Archbishop Romero: Martyr of Salvador* (Maryknoll, New York: Orbis Books, 1980, Eng. trans. 1982), and for a quick insight into President Carter's behavior, p. 77, "Letter to President Carter. I quote from a summary of events in late 1979:

October 10

President Carter ordered a military alert for the entire Caribbean and Central American area on the pretense that there were some three thousand Soviet troops in Cuba. Senator Stone explained the U.S. military presence: "It is to increase the guaranteed effective aid of the Carter administration to countries such as Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador."

This aid to Guatemala, under Montes (sp?) perhaps the most savagely murderous regime in Latin American history, was in aid of said Rios Montes.

I suggest this because you have expressed admiration for that murderous thug, Carter, so some disillusionment in the case of his administration might start you on the road to a more clear-sighted view of U.S. imperialist policy.

Carrol