Slogans

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Apr 8 08:25:32 PDT 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

>All I can ask is, in your vision of the
>world, is there any relief from routine outbreaks of barbarism and mass
>slaughter?

Ok, Max - where should NATO intervene next? And why the lack of urgency about the rest of this list?

<http://www.unhcr.ch/un&ref/numbers/table3.htm>

UNHCR by numbers Table 3 Origin of major refugee populations (10 largest groups)(1)

Country of origin (2) Main countries of asylum Refugees --------------------- ---------------------------------------- --------- Afghanistan Iran / Pakistan / India / Western Europe 2,647,600

Iraq Iran / Syria / Saudi Arabia /

Western Europe 630,700

Somalia Ethiopia / Kenya / Yemen / Djibouti /

Western Europe 524,400

Burundi Tanzania / D.R. Congo / Rwanda / Zambia 515,800

Liberia Guinea / Cte d'Ivoire / Ghana /

Sierra Leone 486,700

Bosnia & Herzegovina F.R. Yugoslavia / Germany / Croatia /

Austria / Sweden / Switzerland 620,000

Sudan Uganda / D. R. Congo / Ethiopia /

Kenya/Central African Republic 351,300

Croatia F.R. Yugoslavia / Bosnia & Herzegovina 342,000

Sierra Leone Guinea / Liberia / Gambia 328,300

Viet Nam China / France / Sweden / Switzerland 316,600

(1) An estimated 3.2 million Palestinians who are covered by a separate mandate of the U.N. Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) are not included in this table. However, Palestinians outside the UNWRA area of operations such as those in Iraq or Libya, are considered to be of concern to UNHCR. (2) Statistics reflecting the countries of origin of a large number of refugees in more developed countries are not available. Also, many refugees have acquired the citizenship of the asylum country for example Vietnamese in the USA and therefore are not included in the refugee statistics.