marching in goose step (was: Slogans)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Sat Apr 10 12:00:11 PDT 1999

At 07:16 PM 4/9/99 +0200, Johannes wrote:
>I can understand your feelings, but it neither adds any enlightenment nor
>does it help politically to revive the politics of social-fascism again.
>Historically such policies added to the failure of the German workers
>movement to fight the Nazis and prevent the holocaust.

Fair enough. It is just very disappointing to see Europeans doing all this, and under the social democratic leadership on th etop of that!

>Today it does not help to equate Hitler and Schröder as well.
>First, if you listen to the statements of Fischer and Scharping you will
>note that they justify the aggression against Yugoslavia with the slogan
>'Auschwitz, never again'. Its with this anti-fascist rhetoric they try to

Well, talk is cheap, as they say. George Orwell (in _Politics and the English Languege_) called it "the defense of the indefensible" i.e. inventing palapable rationalizations for actions that are unaccpetable by ethical standards. That can only suggest that the ruling class get a bit smarter and coopted liberal/social-democratic rhetoric to justify cruise missile diplomacy.

>Secondly and more important: Inside the union and the SPD resistance against
>the war is rising. Those working class voices have to get stronger and it
>does not help at all to tell they are only camouflaged Nazis.

Do you have more information on that resistance? Do you think that Lafontaine's resignation may have had something to do with the planned NATO action?

A broader point for a discussion is the political behavior of the centrist and centro-left parties in Western Europe. It seems that at the end of the day they almost invariably capitulate to the dictates of the capital's rule, even though they may score some small, mostly symbolic, victories here and there. That seems to suggest serious limitation to political solutions of the problems of capitalism.

Wojtek