genocide

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Mon Apr 12 12:44:57 PDT 1999

Doug,

No. "Transfering children of one group to another group through adoptions" is not genocide. Neither is persuading people to be "sterilized" -- whether through "deception" or not. You can treat people very horribly without it being genocide. That does not make the crimes any worse or any more excusable.

Remember, the Guatemalan Truth Commission found 200,000 deaths over thirty years, and some of the worst atrocities imaginable, most concentrated among the Indians. But even they claimed that there was "genocide" for only two years of that stretch -- 81-82, I think. It's a strict standard.

There is an impulse when advocating for a cause to use the harshest language one can think of -- and genocide is often the word people find when they grope for the worst possible crime imaginable. They're doing it with Kosovo right now. I think both are fatuous.

Seth