genocide

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Apr 12 19:21:39 PDT 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

> Whenever I raise the role of the Allies in defeating Hitler et al., people
> seem to want to change the subject, or talk about how capitalism helped
> Hitler rise, upbraid me for raising the Nazi bogeyman, or deny that the
> motives of the Allied nations had any humanitarian basis,

Max, as Doug said, get a grip.

1. Nazi Germany represented a real threat to the whole world, and it was necessary to fight it. It was a *main* evil. This was probably the first time in world history that such a phrase as "main evil" had real content.

2. But you go absolutely crackers and try to pretend there is any parallel in world reach or potential reach between Hitler and any of the two-bit tyrants scattered around the world. Someone who argues this is not a serious person, which is why I stopped reading your posts on Yugoslavia almost from the very beginning.

3. No one compares the *internal* regime of Nazi Germany with the internal regime of current U.S./England/Germany/France, etc. BUT in terms of the whole world, some of us *do* claim that the United States *does* represent as serious or even more serious threat to world peace and decency as did Hitler's Germany. It is potentially *more* serious not because it is nastier but because it's foreign policy is just as nasty AND its relative strength is much greater. When a people is totally devastated, as were the people of Guatemala under a regime supported by the U.S., they don't care what the domestic policy of that oppressor is.

This post and fragments of posts that I have seen quoted are too stupid, too wrongheaded, to be the sincere expression of as intelligent a person as you are. You are either seriously in danger of becoming unbalanced or you are engaging in deliberate pettifoggery.

Carrol