genocide

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Apr 13 07:41:46 PDT 1999

> Max Sawicky wrote:
>
> > Whenever I raise the role of the Allies in defeating Hitler
et al., people seem to want to change the subject, or talk about how capitalism helped Hitler rise, upbraid me for raising the Nazi bogeyman, or deny that the motives of the Allied nations had any humanitarian basis,

> Max, as Doug said, get a grip.

Doug can't help you now.

> 1. Nazi Germany represented a real threat to the whole world,
and it was necessary to fight it. It was a *main* evil. This was probably the first time in world history that such a phrase as "main evil" had real content.>

How about the Confederacy, vis-a-vis the Union? How about the Governor Wallace, vis-a-vis JFK?

> 2. But you go absolutely crackers and try to pretend there is
any parallel in world reach or potential reach between Hitler and any of the two-bit tyrants scattered around the world. Someone who argues this is not a serious person, which is why I stopped reading your posts on Yugoslavia almost from the very beginning.

I'm glad you have resumed. The issue is not and never was the scope of Milo's crimes. I've already allowed as to how Milo's activity is short of genocide. It's merely very very very bad. I'm serious about the fate of the Muslims in Kosova. How 'bout you?

> 3. No one compares the *internal* regime of Nazi Germany with
the internal regime of current U.S./England/Germany/France, etc.

I'd disagree on that, tho it's a secondary point. Anyone who's curious can comb post from yourself, Yoshie, and Dalai Henwood to observe objections to distinctions between the U.S. and "fascism."

> BUT in terms of the whole world, some of us *do* claim that the
United States *does* represent as serious or even more serious threat to world peace and decency as did Hitler's Germany. >

Whether this is true has no necessary bearing on the right of Muslims in Kosova to survive, with NATO protection if necessary.

> It is potentially *more* serious not because it is nastier but
because it's foreign policy is just as nasty AND its relative strength is much greater. When a people is totally devastated, as were the people of Guatemala under a regime supported by the U.S., they don't care what the domestic policy of that oppressor is. >

True but beside the point. Muslims in Kosova.

> This post and fragments of posts that I have seen quoted are
too stupid, too wrongheaded, to be the sincere expression of as intelligent a person as you are. You are either seriously in danger of becoming unbalanced or you are engaging in deliberate pettifoggery.>
> Carrol

I am more sensitive to criticisms from those who agree with me rather than the contrary. Since those who disagree either miss my logic or reject it for political reasons, hence have an interest in reviewing my comments negatively. Duh.

I like 'pettifoggery'; it's so 19th century. I'd call your post buncombe.

Your humble servant,

mbs