Rejoining China

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 13 10:59:22 PDT 1999

China is hoping that the principle of "one country, two systems" can solve some of the obvious contradictions of a large multi-ethnic/cultural political entity. Remember, nationalism, born after the French revolution, is a Western import to Asian. Prior to that, Asia was organized with tribalism under a Chinese feudal culture in Asia. Every Chinese government adopted Chinese political culture and adminstrative practices, the wway the US has been pushing for America values of democrative and freedom worldwide. The idea of a Chinese empire is of course not desirable nor operative. The hope is some kind of pan-Sino organization of nations that can jointly develop a common interest and cultural heritage while protecting each nation's separate identity and "characteristics" - a favorite Chinese political term for skirting dogmatic inflexibilities. Even at the height of dynastic China, imperialism was never the policy. The Chinese world order (empire was a Western term imposed by Western historians) always favored the periphery at the expense of the center, the opposite of imperialism. And border wars were general defensive war bys China against neighboring invaders who sought China's material and economic rishes by force. Thus China have learn the lesson of telling its neighbors: don come, we bring the riches to you where you are. The famous historical strategy over Vietnam involved the capture and subsequent unconditional release of the Vietnam chieftain seven times, until the Vietamese voluntarily agreed to a tributary relationship with China - a relationship marked by year round economic assistance from China in return for the symbolic ritual of annual tributes of indigenous treasures, freely given as a matter of local pride. China had learned century ago that occupation of distant lands cannot hold, as in Korea. The evolution of the British Empire into the British Commonwealth and subsequently into the Commonwealth of Nations was also Chinese in concept. The Chinese world order is very different from the Roman model of empire, which the West has been dreaming of restoring for 2 millenia. The Chinese leadership is constantly going through self criticism on the failure of its policies on ethnic minorities. To the extend that separatist movements can clean themselves from being exploited by Western imperialism, it would be easier for China to adopt more liberal and generous ethnic policies. The long term prospects are good that an Asian commonwealth based on Chinese culture can emrge in the 2st1 century, that would include Japan.

Henry C.K. Liu